Saturday, May 7, 2011

Las camionetas es loco!!!


Life has calmed down since I got here. It’s not as crazy as it was last week, and I feel that I have established some sort of routine. I crave routine in life, so it’s really nice. Tuesday was my first day riding camionetas (chicken buses) to Cuerpo de Paz (Peace Corps) in Santa Lucia Milpas Atlas. I think the camionetas have been one of the most defining experiences I have had so far. We have to take two buses to get to Cuerpo de Paz. So we met at the gas station in Sumpango, which is right next to the Inter-American Highway. We board a bus that is going to Guatemala City.
These buses do NOT have maximum person limits. Picture an elementary school bus, with more people on it than can fit. In most cases, three to a seat and people standing in the aisle. And while you ride on the camionetas you must always be mindful of your things, because the buses have a high rate of theft. I really question the regulations placed upon owning a bus, and capitalizing off it. The bus driver es muy loco!  He barely slows down for turns, and let me tell you these turns are crazy! If I am standing, I feel as if the bus is about to tip over.
So we loaded the bus for Guatemala City, and stood there (and held on for dear life) for about 20 minutes till we got to our next stop at San Lucas. That bus ride cost Q3 (about .40). And you don’t pay when you get on. This tiny Guatemalan man comes down the aisle and collects your dinero. He smooshes and stands up real tall to get by everyone. So we get off at San Lucas and cross over the highway on a high pedestrian bridge. We then wait for a bus for Antigua. The bus ride is just as cramped as before, and we get off at our stop of Santa Lucia Milpas Atlas, and walk the couple hundred feet to Cuerpo de Paz. That bus ride took about 10 minutes and cost Q2. It’s 7:30AM; lets get ready for a full day of meetings!!
We got done with meetings at like 4, and made the walk (like a kilometer) to the bus station. This is no ordinary walk. It goes downhill for half, then uphill for the rest. It is quite treacherous. All of the Youth Development people (there are 15 of us) wait for a bus to Guatemala City. We load the bus, and there is actually room for 15 gringos (Spanish for American/white person)! We take the bus to San Lucas, cross the bridge and take the next bus to Chilmaltenango.  We get off at Sumpango, and each walk home. Luckily I only live a short walk from the gas station, which is where the camionetas pick up/drop off.  This was my Tuesday, and I am doing this every Tuesday for the next 11 weeks!
The rest of the week has been busy. I went to Xenocho (I think that’s how it’s spelled) on Wednesday to meet with the rest of the Youth Development group. We got a long overview, and I am excited to start working. I am very grateful for this training period, as I am eased into the job, which is a lovely luxury. We went back to Sumpango at 12, and had more Spanish. Friday was 8-3 Spanish class at my house. I know I am getting better at Spanish. I still see it as unforeseeable being able to be fluent. I know I will get there; it will probably just take me like 6 months – a year. 
Friday after Spanish, I laid down to rest, as I was quite tired from the day. A few minutes later I heard a strange, almost, flapping noise. I thought nothing of it. It happened again, and I just figured it was a typical noise of Guate.  It happened once more, so I thought I would open my eyes and look. OMG!!!! There is a bird flying around in my room!!!! I about freaked out. I leave my door open to the outside because it’s so nice to have fresh air streaming in. I did a couple shrieks and made a daring streak to the door to get my host mom. Once she came in my room the bird flew away, but I know I will never forget that. I have a slight fear of birds, and that fact that one was IN MY ROOM flying around just completely freaks me out. If Aunt Sands ever reads this, she will understand my fear. (Actually she probably wont even read this far. She will read about the bird, and stop reading.) I still can’t get over it. Oh, Guate.
Last night we also had a water main break in front of my house and there was water streaming all though the street for about 30 minutes. It was crazy!


The water streaming down our street...
Volcan de Fuego from the roof of my house

Sunset in Sumpango
Sunset in Sumpango!

Today was Spanish class, and I am probably going to the market afterwards. Hopefully it will be a fun sábado! 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your description. It makes me feel like I was there with you on the bus. And you are right about Sandie and the bird. Once, when you were a little baby, a bat got loose in the house and went into your room. I ran into my room and then remembered"Wait, I am the Mom! I have to protect my baby!"I summoned up my courage and went into your room to scoop you out of bed while your Dad entered your room with a broom to kill the bat.

    ReplyDelete