Sunday, March 25, 2012

Boring and Exciting is my life


It has been three months since my last blog update. Again, I am such a procrastinator or I do not think that what is currently happening in my life is worthy of an update. I live a pretty normal, boring life. Well as normal as you can be as a Peace Corps volunteer living in Guatemala. Since my last update, I have moved and am now living in a much bigger place. I now cook all for myself. It makes me realize how much I wish I had a fridge, oven, and microwave. I am also a poor person, so I don't have that much money to buy lots of food. Meat, for example, I don't cook for myself. I don’ cook meat for myself for three reasons:
  1. It’s expensive.
  2. It’s very difficult to buy in a portion for one person, and not cost conscious to do that. 
  3. It is sold just out on slabs. Not refrigerated, at all. Which really doesn’t matter if you cook it correctly, but it still grosses me out. 
Back to what I eat. I eat about 4 eggs a day, with bread. Sometimes I have pasta, beans, or rice. As I have stated before, I live a pretty boring life. I go to school and teach, and I come home and usually watch some television program or movie. 
Then again, it is exciting that I only eat certain kinds of food and work in Guatemalan middle schools. I only have cold showers, which is always a challenge to experience, and its always exciting. It is exciting learning a new language, being Spanish or Kiche, which is the Mayan language Santa Clara speaks. I am challenged every day, whether it be by my students and their lack of discipline, a student raising an interesting point, trying to communicate with older Mayan women, who only speak a little Spanish, or just trying to comprehend the transportation systems of Guatemala (all those camionetas, micros, pick-ups, and tuk-tuks). 

My family came to visit me in Guatemala!! Here we are at my mirador, trash dump, and my favorite place in Guatemala. 
Paz y Amor

No comments:

Post a Comment