Sunday, July 17, 2011

A very eventful two weeks!

Leading up to site visit and counterpart day was incredibly nerve-racking. I was so anxious and really wanted to pretend to be sick. Counterpart day came and went with only a little bit of awkwardness.  My counterpart and one of the directors from my schools came, and they are both super nice. It was only stressful for me because of the lack of Spanish that I have, and the fact that I am still trying to be professional, but I am not sure how to say what I want to say.  There were times in which I wanted to explain more and talk more about my job, but I had no clue how to say it in Spanish. On Tuesday, the 5th, I came with 2 big suitcases and a large backpack to the Peace Corps office, fully expecting to have to take a camioneta to Santa Clara La Laguna. I was also freaking out at this possibility. Nevermind going to the place in which I am going to live for the next two years, how I am going to last 3 hours on a camioneta with all of my stuff.

Luckily the people who were coming from Sololá had a car, so I was able to get a ride and have all my things safely in the bed of the truck. We left Santa Lucia around 11, and made our way to Chimaltenango for lunch. I had Pollo Campero for lunch in Chimal; you can never beat some Pollo Campero! After lunch, we were back on the road. I slept most of the way, and we after a bunch of bumpy, dirt roads we arrived at my site. It is a quiet little town, but not quite as little as I was expecting. The town is very spread out, with another pueblo right next to it. I can walk ten minutes to a lookout of Lake Atitlan, and take a camioneta for about thirty minutes to the shore of the lake.

I arrived at these houses down a slight hill, not to far from the center of town. The truck stopped in the dirt, as the truck literally could not go any farther. One of the directors of the schools, Francisco, who had ridden with me from Santa Lucia, helped me grab all of my things from the bed of the truck.  He handed some things to man, and that man took them down the hill, and to the side. I must be living down there, I thought. I made my way down the side hill, while it’s super short, it is also super steep. I slipped on my way down; I tend to do that alot here in Guatemala. I was lead into a bare room right off the house that only had my two suitcases in it. I became incredibly overwhelmed at that moment. I was hoping for furniture.

I was greeted by the same man who helped with my bags, Juan, who I found out would be my host father. I met his wife, and his two adorable daughters. They watched me while I sat in the room, and tried to contemplate how to start my life in this town. Many thoughts were going through my head, as they stood there asking me basic introductory questions. I was thinking: (How do I begin to form lasting relationships with these people? How do I start unpacking? Where can I buy all of my furniture, and will I have enough money? I was really hoping for a second room. Be positive, and happy. I am so stressed I can’t speak any Spanish. Just calm down, and breathe. Where am I going to put all my stuff?) They watched me unpack some of my things even though I didn’t have anywhere to put them, besides the floor. The rest of the night was miserable. I was told earlier in the week, that the first day of site visit would be the worst in the Peace Corps, and that was right! I felt so alone, without my friends, my host family, and without a clear plan!

The next day I woke up from sleeping on the floor and felt so much better. This is going to be ok! I went out with Francisco (who is the director of the school in my town), and we went to the mayor’s office, the health center, and I had a great tour of the town. I was then walked to a lookout of what I was told would be Lago de Atitlan. We arrived to this grassy, muddy area with some trash on the ground. I don’t know what I was expecting, but I walked to the lookout, and could not believe my eyes. It was the most beautiful place I ever seen. I felt like I was having this amazing experience. I am in this gorgeous country and am ten minutes from this view. Fate really has a plan for me, and I am truly blessed. I could not stop saying, “Oh My God” and “This is Amazing” for the next five to ten minutes, all in English. I cried, laughed, and took some amazing pictures. During those ten minutes I became truly happy to be in my site, and I knew that I was going to try and do amazing things for this community.

For the next couple of days, I went to all my schools, met some very nice people, and began to know my town a little better. When I left on Saturday, I was excited to leave, but I wasn’t unexcited to come back. I arrived back in Sumpango in the afternoon, and it was so nice to sleep in a comfortable bed and have a hot shower. The next day was our family lunch, and we made hummus, tacos, and flan, all homemade! It was so nice just to relax with our families, knowing that it was one of the last times all of us would be together.

The rest of the week passed by as usual, while it wasn’t usual in the least bit.  We had many sessions on becoming real volunteers, and I had many wonderful moments with my fellow trainees. On Tuesday, the 12th, all of the trainees sat outside in a big circle and shared their thoughts on life, Peace Corps, Guatemala, and the road to this point. I was inspired by what everyone said, and I was happy that we did that activity. While it kind of felt like group therapy, waiting for everyone to speak, it was a lovely way to process the experience of training!

Thursday, the 14th, was the big day! I was sworn in as a Peace Corps volunteer at the ambassador’s house in Guatemala City. I wore traje, which is the traditional dress of Guatemala. I was uncomfortable for most of the day, as what was keeping my skirt up was wrapped tightly around my ribs. However, I now have a new found respect for all of the women in Guatemala who wear this. I could not imagine wearing that everyday, and I respect anyone who does. I said the infamous oath taken by every United States citizen working in foreign service. It was amazing saying those words, and this dream becoming a reality. I am now a Peace Corps volunteer! After all of those years of dreaming, years of applying, and 3 months of training, my dream has finally come true! Now comes working in my community, and I could not be more excited to start!

1 comment: