Sunday, July 31, 2011

What to write???

Another week has been a blur in site. I finally starting to find my feet. I have really been having trouble working out my room. As many of you who know me, it usually takes me a couple months to decorate, and be happy with, the rooms/apartments I live in. That being said, I am trying my hardest to make sure that doesn't happen here in Guatemala. I need a place to rest my head and clear my mind, and I can't do that in a room I am not comfortable in. I still am trying to find blankets (still using the sleeping bag), baskets for my things, and trying to figure out how to organize myself. Now I could probably accomplish this in one day, but I wouldn't be happy with it. I am an analyzer and organizer, what can I say?

So, on to more fun activities. Yesterday was a pretty fun day! I went to Pana with a couple of friends, and even got to go on a short boat ride. It was so nice to be out on the lake, looking at the mountains and volcanoes surrounding it. I tried to not take too many pictures, and just enjoy the moment. It was a peaceful and fun moment. Every time I see the lake, the beauty overwhelms me. It's a cliche, but it's true. (Most cliches are true.)

I think work is going well. It's hard to really evaluate, considering it's my second week in site. Most of the teachers in my schools are excited for me to be there, even though all of them think that I am teaching English. I even get introduced to the community as an English teacher. Now I do speak English, but that is not what I will be teaching. I am trying to suggest to them, that while I probably will help them with English, that is not my primary purpose. In time, it will work itself out.

All of the students at my schools are really intelligent, and most are very engaging. I am ashamed to admit this, but I did not expect this coming in. I thought that they would have the potential for being intelligent, but not necessarily using most of their potential. And I didn't think that they would be engaging at all. This was an involuntary stereotype in which I came in with. Well, it has been shattered, as I think most stereotypes should. I am glad that I have overcome this emotion, and now I can truly be an effective teacher knowing that my students have so much potential, are intelligent, and engaging. Let me also say, this "teacher" part is all talk, because I have never taught in my life. It is definitely a new experience. That experience of having all of the power in the room, being in front of a chalkboard, standing up commanding attention, and all of the students sitting down.

I really wanted to write today, but I couldn't think of what to write about. I mean what I write, but I pulled it out of my ass. I don't want to end this post with the word ass. So, it will end with the word happiness. :)

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about being a teacher- I think it's in our blood! After reading this post, I know you'll do great- people always ask me what my secret is when I make those connections with kids- it's no secret! It's having mutual respect for them as they do for you. Seems like they're already earning your respect, which will make you an amazing teacher! Enjoy your time there (and don't worry about taking too many pictures- we love to look at them!!) :)

    Wish you were going to be there this weekend... We will toast one for ya!!

    ReplyDelete