Monday, August 22, 2011

Un Poco Gordo

So something happened today during school, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I was talking to a teacher that I haven't spoken to yet, and I was telling her how much I love Guatemala and Santa Clara. She then told me that she lives in Xiprian, which is one of the aldeas I work in. I was saying how I have walked up the huge hill in Xiprian, it has to be at a 25-30 degree angle. It is steep, and I was telling her that it was difficult. She then said "es porque usted es un poco gordo." The translation is "its because you are a little fat". I was completely taken aback. I wanted to say something about how that was a little rude, but then I remembered that this is Guatemala, and gordo is not a bad word. So I just continued with the conversation.

So now we come to this moment. I have been thinking about this little comment, and trying to analyze it in a way that was acceptable. And I cannot for the life of me think of one acceptable reason, other than its culturally accepted. For example, in the States, you do not call people fat. If anything, you say the word chubby about someone else, behind their back, for descriptive purposes. If you are describing their athletic ability, you would say "they are out of shape." But never to their face, as that would just be pointing out a flaw that they have. In the States, we put a lot of weight on image. I know that this cultural pressure is what influences me to be offended by the word "fat".

So I thought outside of the realm of personal beauty. I thought about inner beauty. I would never say to someone, "well that's because you aren't smart" or "Well thats because you aren't a supportive person". Then I thought about commenting on someone's flaws, which I usually only do in a joking manner. Say I say to my sister "My room is so messy", and she would say back, "well that is because you are messy/lazy." I know she is right, but she only gets to say it because we know each other so well. If someone I just met said "well that is because you are a little lazy", I would think that person is very rude.

Let me also say, I am sensitive to the word fat. It has plagued me all my life, and I definitely have issues with my weight. I always have, and it is something I am always working on. Since I am sensitive to the word, I know that triggered a bigger reaction, hence this blog post.

This has become one of the first things in Guatemala in which I am not comfortable with. If it continues, I will have to say "Maybe next time, please don't use the word gordo, because that is offensive where I am from" or "that kind of hurts my feelings". Who knows? I am sure this will happen again, and I think I am more prepared. However, I still find it offensive.

Peace and Love.

1 comment:

  1. just read your blog, you are right-she is not from the South. I am sorry she hurt your feelings, but on the other hand, I think it is very healthy how you are addressing weight issues. I love you big or small. Momma

    ReplyDelete