Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Great Plan

The past two weeks have been entirely busy. It made me really tired, but I would much rather be busy, than be bored. Last week was feria in my town, which means that its the annual celebration of the awesomeness of my town. I also had a Spanish teacher come from Cuerpo de Paz, so I wasn't able to enjoy the feria as much as I would have wanted. But I did enjoy what I saw. There were food booths (of food I couldn't eat), 3 ferris wheels, and booths selling stuff. Stuff would be the best word to describe it, because it is such a cornucopia of stuff like pots and pans, shoes, jeans, remote controls, illegal DVD's, watches, and much more.

I have been watching so many movies lately. They just make me so happy, that I almost watch one every day (Holy cow!). One movie I just watched was 127 Hours, and now I have illegally downloaded the book, and I am reading that now. It is such a great movie, and an even greater book. (I mean when is the movie ever better, almost never!) Well, one of the things that really struck me was how much Aron Ralston really believed that it was fate that the boulder fell on him. And while my situation is NOTHING like that, it got me thinking about fate.

Fate: There is a plan for your life. Now I am sure some of you have heard the story of my mom buying a photo of Lago de Atitlan a couple years ago. Well I will tell it again. My mom was at a gallery opening or something, and it was a photography exhibit. She was struck by this one photo, which was a dock leading off into a beautiful blue lake, with the edge of the lake leading to three volcanoes. My mom liked the photo, and continued with the exhibit. A couple of days later, my mom was still thinking about the photo. My mom is an artist, and is not one to buy art. All of the art in our home was either done by her, or given to her as a gift by her artist friends. Well I couple of days later, she decided to purchase the photo. We hung it up in the living room. (I must say I wasn't the biggest fan, because it was a copy and the paper was wrinkled, and it could have used some work with presentation.) A couple years later, we redid the living room, and took it down, and I think we put it in the attic. While all of this is happening, I am applying to the Peace Corps. Well I get accepted, and go to Guatemala, and end up in a town right next to Lago de Atitlan. When my mom remembered the photo, then I recognized it as Lago de Atitlan, well I felt it was a sign of fate. I live behind Indian's Nose, which is a mountain right next to Volcan San Pedro. Another cool thing was Indian's Nose is also in the photo, so you can almost see my town.

The point of this story is how much I truly believe in fate. When I was applying to PC, I was being a slacker. I just did not want to fill out the application. I was actually suffering from a bout of my lovely depression, but didn't know it at the time. So it took me forever to finish, like 10 months. Why did it take me so long, fate. I was meant to come to Guatemala, to live on Lago de Atitlan, and to have some amazing experiences. Whenever I feel frustrated with my work or living in a different country, I just think about this. This is meant for me for a reason, and I have to have faith. It will be all be okay, because this is all part of a bigger plan.

I am not a religious person, I am spiritual. I believe this wholeheartedly. I wont go into my qualms with religion. But I truly believe that me being here, not just in the Peace Corps, Guatemala, Lago de Atitlan, Santa Clara, but sitting in my room right now, that this is all part of a higher plan. I know that The Great Spirit has great and difficult things in store for me, and I cannot wait to see what they are.

Peace and Love o Paz y Amor

1 comment:

  1. I have to put that story on facebook, because when I did before, it was buried in your wall. I want to post it to my friends. Chelsea, I am so proud of you and it makes me feel tons better having that picture-like I am with you. You are a grown woman-how weird it would be to have your mother with you. Like the skit on SNL. But it makes your Momma feel at ease- I sense such peace when I look at the picture-and I do frequently each day.

    ReplyDelete